After facing so many new changes during the first 3 months of pregnancy, your body will feel a lot more adjusted in the second trimester. Your tiredness and vomiting would have reduced a lot by now, and you will feel a lot more energetic.
You will still go through a lot more changes in the fourth, fifth and sixth months. This blog will help you with your second trimester problems.
Here we have listed some of the common problems that women face in the second trimester of pregnancy. You might not have some of these problems. But if you do, we also have some home remedies to help you.
You might have pain in your back and stomach in the second trimester of pregnancy
As your baby is developing in your womb, you might experience pain in your lower back and stomach. Because of the added weight on your stomach, there is more pressure on your spine than usual. Because of this pressure, your standing, sitting, sleeping, walking etc. postures change. This can cause pain in your lower back.
Also, the development of the round ligament, which supports your womb may expand or contract. This can cause pain in your lower stomach.
You can deal with this pain in your lower back and stomach by trying some of the remedies listed below. If the pain is too much or there is any bleeding along with this pain, go to your doctor for advice.
Home remedies for lower back and stomach pain during the second trimester of pregnancy
- Do NOT apply any balms for massaging as these might be harmful to your baby. Only use medicine or balms prescribed by your doctor.
- Take lots of rest.
- Lie down on your side opposite to the pain area.
- Place a hot water bottle on the back or stomach.
- Use a maternity belt to maintain correct posture in your spine.
You might have swelling or pain in your feet during the second trimester of pregnancy
Swelling or pain in the feet is very common during the fourth, fifth, sixth months. This is because of the extra weight in your body that adds pressure on your feet while walking. There is nothing to worry about if this happens, but you can always try some of our tips for some comfort. This can also be caused due to anemia or lack of calcium in the body, for which your doctor may prescribe medicines for you.
Home remedies for feet pain and swelling during the second trimester of pregnancy
- Keep stretching your ankles. Also, move your toes every few minutes when you sit or stand.
- Don’t sit or stand in the same position for too long.
- Drink lots of water.
- Use hot water bottle on the ankles for relief.
- To avoid anemia, eat iron-rich food like apples, palak, etc.
White discharge from the vagina during the second trimester of pregnancy
If you are getting a white or yellowish discharge from your vagina, there can be many reasons for it. This is normal, so don’t worry. Leukorrhea is a condition in which this discharge is formed due to estrogen imbalance. But in some cases, this can also be due to infections. The discharge will usually be similar to the vaginal discharge you would have got before you were pregnant. But if the discharge becomes too thick, heavy or changes colour, please consult your doctor.
You might feel breathless or tired during the second trimester of pregnancy
Doing too many activities or taking too much rest, both can make you feel breathless. This is because your body is still getting used to the internal changes, and you are adding more physical changes in your weight to this. Doing a little exercise daily can help to keep you in shape and have more oxygen in your body.
Your weight will increase during the second trimester of pregnancy
Throughout your pregnancy, you might put on 12-16 kgs of weight. Every month, you can expect 1-2 kgs increase in your weight.
If your weight is increasing abnormally, consult your doctor to find out the reason for this. Abnormal weight gain can cause hypertension/high BP, diabetes and breathlessness. This may lead to complications like complications during delivery, cesarean delivery or miscarriage.
How to keep your weight in control during the second trimester of pregnancy
- Drink lots of liquids like fruit juices, coconut water, etc.
- Take good care of your diet. Eat food rich in protein (egg, paneer dal), iron (apple, palak) and calcium (milk, paneer).
- Instead of heavy meals, have small, light meals 4-5 times in the day.
- Do not eat junk food like chips. biscuits, cake, etc.
- Do a little exercise daily.
You might not get proper sleep during the second trimester of pregnancy
Though most of your first trimester problems would have ended by now, you might still be having difficulty in sleeping. Your stomach is much bigger now so you might not find the right position to sleep in. Pain in your feet and back can also add to this problem. Even after sleeping, you might be waking up in the middle of the night to urinate.
Tips to get a good sleep during the second trimester of pregnancy
- Keep your room temperature comfortable so that you can sleep comfortably. Close the windows or use thicker blankets if you feel too cold.
- Drink a glass of warm milk before sleeping. This will calm you down and help you sleep peacefully.
- Lie down on your side while sleeping. For more comfort, you can keep a pillow between your legs.
You might have gas and acidity problems in the second trimester of pregnancy
The hormonal changes in the body affect your digestive system. Food in your stomach is getting digested slowly now. This can cause gas and acidity in the second semester of your pregnancy.
Tips to avoid gas and acidity during the second trimester of pregnancy
- Avoid foods that can cause gas or acidity like cabbage, cold drinks, etc.
- Avoid spicy and oily food.
You might notice darkening in your skin colour in the second trimester of pregnancy
Increase in estrogen causes skin darkening. You might notice this on your stomach and breasts. Along with this, you might also get some spots on your face and body. These will eventually go away after your pregnancy. You can avoid this by using a pregnancy safe sunscreen prescribed by your doctor.
You might get nosebleeds in the second trimester of pregnancy
The hormonal changes in the body affect your blood circulation as well. This can sometimes cause nose bleeding in the second semester of your pregnancy as blood circulation increases in your body.
What to do when you get nosebleeds
You might sometimes get nosebleeds in the second trimester of pregnancy. In such cases, try the following tips:
- Keep your head straight. Do not look down.
- Block your nose with a cotton cloth. You can breathe from your mouth during this time.
- Don’t lift heavy items. Avoid any activities that can cause you to feel breathless.
If the bleeding does not stop in 20 minutes, go to your doctor.
You might have piles
The hormonal changes in the body affect your digestive system. Food in your stomach is getting digested slower now. This can cause constipation in the second semester of your pregnancy. If constipation is not controlled, it can lead to piles, where you have itching and bleeding from your anus.
How to avoid piles during the second trimester of pregnancy
- Go to the toilet as and when you want to. If you control this, you might cause tightening in your intestines.
- If possible, fill a tub with hot or warm water and sit in it for 5-10 minutes for 3-4 times in the day. This will loosen your intestines.
- Drink more liquids like fruit juices.
- Eat fibre-rich food like green vegetables and fruits.
- Do some light exercise like stretching and yoga.
If the problem continues for many days, consult your doctor.
You might have vaginal bleeding in the second trimester of pregnancy
It is quite common to have vaginal bleeding in the first trimester. But if you have such bleeding in the second trimester of your pregnancy, this might mean that there are complications in your pregnancy. So consult your doctor as soon as possible.
You might feel some contractions in your stomach in the second trimester of pregnancy
From the beginning of your pregnancy, some contractions happen in your uterus from time to time. These are normal and are called Braxton Hicks contractions. As the intensity of these contractions increase and they start to happen more often, you might start feeling them from the fifth month.
These contractions are very different from the contractions that you will feel when you go into labour. These contractions only stay for upto 30 seconds at a time and don’t happen more than 1-2 times in an hour. They are painless. The contractions that happen during labour can last for a longer time and be very painful.
Cough and cold during the second trimester of pregnancy
With all the hormonal changes in your body, your immunity can drop during your pregnancy. So it is quite common to get cough and cold. In this case, only take medicine if prescribed by your doctor.
Home remedies for cough and cold during the second trimester of pregnancy
- Ginger juice with honey can give you some temporary relief.
- If your nose is blocked, take steam from a pot of hot water.
- Drink hot water to clear your throat.
- In a cup of hot water, add lemon juice and honey. This juice will help you feel better.
You might have some bleeding in your teeth and gums in the second trimester of pregnancy
Once again, bleeding gums and teeth during the second trimester of pregnancy are caused by the hormonal changes in your body. These problems will go away after your baby is born, so don’t worry. If you want to avoid this, massage your gums with your finger daily and use a toothbrush with soft bristles.
The second trimester of your pregnancy will pass by comfortably and happily if you follow our tips and home remedies listed in this blog. So take care of yourself, stay healthy and happy, and try our tips for any of these problems. When in doubt, always consult your doctor.