The first three months of pregnancy can be a difficult time in your life. Your body is going through a lot of changes. So it is natural to have vomiting, bleeding, breast pain, constipation and many other problems in the first trimester of pregnancy.
Here we have listed some of the common problems that women face in the first trimester of pregnancy. You might not have some of these problems. But if you do, we also have some home remedies to help you.
Tiredness during the first trimester of pregnancy
In the first trimester of pregnancy, your body will change a lot. Progesterone and estrogen hormones increase during this time, so you might feel tired or weak throughout the day.
Home remedies for tiredness during the first trimester of pregnancy
- Take lots of rest.
- Eat iron-rich food like apple and spinach (palak).
- Eat protein-rich food like dal and paneer.
Vomiting during the first trimester of pregnancy
Vomiting is very common in the first trimester of pregnancy. It happens due to the increase in progesterone in your body. Though this is called as ‘morning sickness’ it can happen at any time of the day. Morning sickness usually stops after the first trimester of pregnancy but in some rare cases, it can still continue in the second trimester.
Many women also feel the need to vomit when they see food and because of this, they eat less. As you already know, your baby is getting all of its nutrition from the food that you eat. So you need to take care of your health and eat well.
Don’t take any medicines for vomiting without consulting your doctor
Tips to avoid vomiting in the first trimester of pregnancy
- When you wake up in the morning, don’t get up immediately from your bed. Getting up suddenly can cause dizziness, which can continue throughout the day. First, sit on the bed with your legs on the floor. After a few seconds, your body will become adjusted to the change in position and you can get up.
- Eat many small meals throughout the day. Instead of having 3 large meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner), have small meals every few hours so that your body is not overloaded with food.
- Eat carbohydrate-rich foods like chole and sweet potato.
- Rest well so that you are not tired.
Home remedies for vomiting during the first trimester of pregnancy
- A glass of lemon juice with warm in the morning will help in digestion.
- Drinking coconut water with one spoon of lemon juice will settle the food in your stomach.
- Chewing pudina leaves will get rid of the nausea feeling and taste in your mouth.
- One spoon of ginger juice or coriander juice will cool down your stomach.
Brown discharge, bleeding and spotting during the first trimester of pregnancy
Some women get problems of bleeding or spotting in the first trimester of pregnancy. You might also have experienced this. This happens when the fertilized egg attaches to the wall of the uterus. This is normal, there is nothing to worry about. But if it continues for many days, you should consult your doctor.
Why does bleeding, brown discharge or spotting happen during the first trimester of pregnancy?
- Sometimes, infection in the vagina can cause spotting.
- If you have sex during the first trimester of pregnancy, you might feel some bleeding.
- The hormones that control your monthly periods may sometimes cause bleeding.
- Sometimes, bleeding can be a sign of miscarriage.
- Ectopic pregnancy is a serious condition that can cause bleeding during pregnancy. In an ectopic pregnancy, the egg attaches to the fallopian tube instead of the uterus. As the baby grows, the fallopian tube breaks and causes bleeding. This can be very dangerous to you and your baby. Consult your doctor in the following cases:
- If the bleeding continues for more than 24 hours.
- If you feel weak, dizzy or unconscious.
- If you have a fever.
- If you have too much pain in your stomach.
Tips to avoid bleeding during the first trimester of pregnancy
- Rest well and keep your body safe.
- Try not to have sex.
- Drink lots of water.
Breast problems during the first trimester of pregnancy
In the first few months of your pregnancy, there are many hormonal changes in your body. This can cause many changes in your breast. Some of these changes are:
- You may feel itching in your breasts.
- You may notice stretch marks around your breasts.
- You may feel swelling and growth in your breasts.
- You may feel pain in your breasts.
Home remedies for breast pain during the first trimester of pregnancy
- Wear comfortable bras.
- Do not wear wired bras.
- Wear a cotton bra when you sleep at night.
- Drink more water and eat less salt.
Constipation during the first trimester of pregnancy
Having constipation is very common during the first trimester of pregnancy. This usually happens in the first month. During pregnancy, your food takes more time to digest. This happens so that the blood vessels can absorb the nutrients properly to feed your baby. Because your food is staying in the stomach for a longer time, you might feel constipated.
Home remedies for constipation during the first trimester of pregnancy
- Drink lots of water (at least 8-10 glasses daily).
- Eat foods that are rich in fibre like fruits and vegetables.
- Do not eat spicy or fried food.
- Avoid maida.
Gas in the stomach during the first trimester of pregnancy
You might also feel gas in your stomach because of indigestion. The progesterone hormones relax your digestive system, so your food might not get digested properly. It is a very common experience, but if you have any pain in your continuously for 30 minutes or more, consult your doctor.
Home remedies for gas during the first trimester of pregnancy
- Avoid foods that cause gas like cabbage, bhindi
- Take a cup of methi leaves and fill it with water. Leave this overnight and drink this water in the morning. This can relieve some discomfort in your stomach.
- Mix one spoon of ginger juice with a little honey. Drink this for instant relief.
- In a cup of hot water, add one teaspoon honey and one teaspoon cinnamon powder. Drink this every day.
- In a cup of hot water, add a pinch of ajwain and black salt. Drink this every day.
Cough and cold during the first trimester of pregnancy
In the first three months of your pregnancy, your body is going through many changes at the same time. This can reduce your immunity, so you might get frequent cold and cough. This is also very common. Just take care of yourself and everything will be fine. You can try some home remedies for cold and cough. But if the problems continue for many days, consult your doctor before taking any medicines.
Home remedies for cough and cold during the first trimester of pregnancy
- Ginger juice with honey can give you some temporary relief.
- If your nose is blocked, take steam from a pot of hot water.
- Drink hot water to clear your throat.
- In a cup of hot water, add lemon juice and honey. This juice will help you feel better.
These few months of pregnancy might be hard, but carrying your beautiful baby in your arms at the end of these months is worth all this pain. Your first trimester of pregnancy is the most important for both you and your baby. So take care of yourself and try our home remedies whenever you have these problems.